Sunday, June 3, 2012

About Time!

I know alot of you have been waiting to hear about the trip.  I am finally ready to start sharing my experiences and feelings.

I think I have been waiting until I could sort it all out in my head and have "answers".  I wanted to be able to say, "God sent me to Brazil on this mission trip because......fill in the blank."  I'm not sure what answers I have, but I have been encouraged to write, so, I'm gonna write!

I've decided to update daily as I experienced my trip.  I might put a little commentary in at certain spots, but, we shall see how it goes.

Sunday, May 6th

I said goodbye to my family at the airport.  Most members of the group were there and we checked our bags.  We were carrying 9 "bins" with us to Brazil.  9 bins full of vitamins, Tylenol, Motrin and the like - all weighing approximately 70 pounds.  It was amazing how heavy and how full these things were.  It cost over $750 in addition to our baggage, just to check these things to Miami.  Whoa.....That is alot of money.

We made our way towards security so we could get to the gate.  It has been awhile since i have flown anywhere, so I was kinda surprised by this new x-ray type thing you had to step in and put your arms over your head.  Kinda weird....but, ok, I stepped in, put my hands of my head and stepped out.  I was told to wait on the black mat with the standard yellow footprints.  "Ma'am, do you have anything in your back right pocket?" Oh, yes, I have my cash and my credit card.  "Ma'am, when we say take everything out of your pockets, we mean everything."  Whoops, sorry.  "Please turn around ma'am and empty the contents of your back pocket."  I removed my cash and credit card.  At this point I was still just like, whoops, and I kinda thought it was funny.  Well, maybe it wasn't funny - I'm just one of those people who laugh at inappropriate times and in inappropriate places.  Well, about 10 seconds later, I met the nice TSA woman who would give me the "special" search.  I didn't think too much of it, she was nice enough.  Then she started the pat down and by "pat down" I mean "rub down".  Talk about embarrassing!  OMG!  It was by no means one of those horror stories you hear about, but goodness.  Once they were assured I was not carrying anything illegal onto the plane, I had to get my hands wiped down and analyzed for explosives.  I'm thinking, really?  Really?  Me?  But then I remembered I would do this everyday if it means we don't have another 911. 

Finally, I am off to the gate.  Sweating and nervous chattering every one's ear off.  Not only am I nervous laugher, but also and nervous chatter.  HA!

We make it safely into Fort Lauderdale a bit early.  Our luggage is off the plane rather promptly.  Our shuttle to Miami is already waiting.  We pack up and drive to Miami and get in the doors and in front of TAM Airlines at 10:20 pm.  Oh boy.  10:20?  We weren't expecting to be there so early.  Our check in time was 5am.  Have you ever seen 9 people with 20 pieces of rather large luggage just standing around?  Someone has a picture, I'll find it.  We took up so much room it was really funny!  What was really funny was when these 9 people and these 20 pieces of luggage had to sleep on the floor in the airport.  Did I say sleep?  HAHAHAHAHA!  The Miami airport has this announcement every 15 minutes that says, "The time is now 12:45 am." "The time is now "2:15 am"  "The time is now 2:30 am".  Sleep?  No, we did most definitely did NOT sleep.  Here is an excerpt from my journal:

"We have arrived in Miami.  I didn't really feel like writing but I want to remember this.  We re-arranged the bins because some were slightly over the 70 pound weight limit.

I've brought the book "RADICAL" for the plane rides.  I'm not sure how you can read that book and not want to adopt a child.  The numbers are so staggering it is overwhelming.  I hope God makes it clear to Rob and I what he wants us to do.

I'm sitting here on the floor of Miami International VERY TIRED.  I'm not sure how this is going to work out because I am not very good without sleep!  I'm just going to have to trust God that he will help me feel rested and rejuvenated.  I pray for strength and for quality sleep on the plane to Brazil"

"The time is now 10:30" and I am tired.  Can't wait to post pictures and get into the meat of the trip.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment