Thursday, April 12, 2012

Officially Official!

Well, now it is really official!  I have a plane ticket from Miami to Brazil!  There is no turning back now!  In 24 days, I will be on my way!  Only thing is that I still don’t know how I am getting to Miami.  I guess I’ll be finding out at some point.

Yesterday, I was researching the website of the mission where I will be going and found a journal from a lady who went in the same trip in January.  It was very informative and exciting!  I know there was plenty that she left out, but I am getting excited instead of uneasy.  So, that is a good sign! 
 
Today I must fill out the Brazilian Visa form and get it ready to Fed Ex to the document processing company that will expedite my visa.  Apparently, it is not so easy to get a Brazilian visa quickly without one, so I will bite the bullet and pay the fee.
 
Next on my list will be the immunizations.  There is a Patient First in my area that stocks shots for international travelers, so I will go there and get them all knocked out at one time.  Then I will have to go to my PCP to get the malaria pills and a prescription for cipro.  Why go to two different places?  Well, my PCP doesn’t stock yellow fever or typhoid so I would have to go to a specialty pharmacy with a prescription, get them filled, and then take them back to my PCP for administration.  AND my insurance company covers them only under medical – not prescription.  So, I will be jumping through some hoops, but I would rather do that than play ring around the rosy!

The interesting thing is that it seems each day for the past week, someone from my job has asked me about “going into the jungle on a boat” and “Am I crazy?”!  I can’t tell if it is making me excited or making me more nervous about the whole thing.  Everyone always asks about the anacondas, spiders and mosquitoes the size of monkeys.  It is very interesting to hear all these different perspectives about a country that none of us have been to!

24 days…..

No comments:

Post a Comment