Thursday, April 5, 2012

Overwhelmed!

I am so overwhelmed by the outpouring of support, both privately and publicly!  It has been such a comfort!  Rob said yesterday morning morning, "Now people know your thoughts!" And I cringed thinking - What are people going to think of me?  Am I a whackadoodle? (Thanks to my pastor for that term!  Love it!)  Then, I just felt calm and thought, this is me.  I can't apologize for what is going on!  This is amazing!  If I'm weird, then I'm weird, but at least I said yes! 

I was so scared going to talk to my boss yesterday. She was tense.  It probably didn't help that I mistakenly set it up as if I was going to tell her I was quiting.  Although...I didn't really ask her permission to go.  I said I was going and that I could not say no to it.  I wonder if that made her mad?  I didn't realize I had done that until just now...but anyway, she loosened up tremendously by the end of our conversation and she even looked up one of the recommended shots for me.  I was really grateful for that! 

Then, I learned so much in the next 3 hours my head was spinning......VISA, TAM, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Hep A, Hep B, don't even think about sticking to a diet while there!  So many things!  So little time!  At this point, I am waiting until the flight is booked so I can apply for a Brazilian visa.  I think for peace of mind I will go ahead and pay a document services company to handle the visa for me. 

I did make a mistake at work yesterday.  We have a no solicitation policy - which means, you can not "solicit" donations or ask anyone directly about fundraisers and the like.  Well, I didn't even think about it - I sent an e-mail to my three physicians telling them about the trip and telling them they could donate.  I was scared to death by the way because I hate asking for help.  I think this is a weakness God is going to stretch in the next 30 days.  I was very thankful that my boss, very gently, reminded me of the policy.  I did send this e-mail back to them that said, "OOpps, I forgot about the policy.  I'm sorry!"  It is embarrassing though, seeing that I am the Office Manager and hold 25 people accountable for the policy manual!  At this point, the damage was done.  All I could do was apologize. 

I'm undecided about whether I will hang something up telling everyone at work what I am doing.  If I don't, what does that say?  I've put it on Facebook but I'm afraid to put it up at work? Hmmmm.....I will have to ponder this one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment